The East Brook Blast - November 28, 2018
The East Brook Blast
Today Julieann Randall, author of Jade’s Journey, visited East Brook and presented to our 5th and 6th grade students.
She had a discussion with them about transitioning into middle school.
They also had an opportunity to share their concerns and also learn how they can cope and adjust to all The Newness.
Bullying was also a topic of discussion, considering how it affects our children in multiple facets. It's essential for them to be educated on this topic as part of their growth within the educational system.
As November comes to a close, so does our No-Shave November fundraiser! I want to personally thank EVERYONE who participated and/or contributed to this great cause. Our collection amounted to a total of $256.00 and 46 people joined this initiative ! As happy as I am to have participated myself, I can’t wait to shave at the end of this week.
Also, our December life skills will focus on saying “Hello” and making eye contact! Looking forward to reinforcing this every day!
Thank you to Danielle Schwartz for once again coordinating the 6th Grade Holiday Give Back for Veterans. Flyers will be coming home shortly for this great initiative.
Please remember to send your student with the appropriate outer wear as they will be going outside for recess, i.e., Hats, gloves and a jacket.
I hope all students enjoyed another Homework Free Week!
- Field Trips – Below is a list of the 2018-19 field trips. Please make sure you add these to your family calendars. Please note that all trips are subject to change due to unexpected occurrences.
- K 5/17/2019 Farmstead Estates -Ringwood, NJ
- 1 5/6/2019 Mayo PAC - Morristown, NJ
- 2 5/10/2019 Museum Village -Monroe, NY
- 2-L 12/13/2018 SkyZone - Allendale
- 3 5/10/2019 Liberty Science Center - Jersey City, NJ
- 4 3/29/2019 Maritime Aquarium, Norwalk, CT
- 5 4/3/2019 Medieval Times - Lyndhurst, NJ
- 6 5/29/19-5/31/19 Camp Bernie - Port Murray, NJ
- Hogwart’s Holiday Book Faire – Next week, PTO Book Fair chairperson, Carrie Rauschenberger will transform East Brook into Hogwart’s School of Wizardry. Please visit the PTO webpage for more information and be on the lookout for envelopes this week. Our evening event will take place next Wednesday, December 5th. Thank you in advance to Carrie for another awesome event!
- Mrs. Omland’s Classroom – On Monday morning, our beloved 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Omland entered East Brook to unexpected water damage in her classroom. She lost almost everything in her classroom, including all of her classroom books.
Although we are working with the insurance company to replenish materials that could not be salvaged, I ask that you consider Mrs. Omland during our Scholastic Book Fair. Each teacher receives a “wish list,” and it would be excellent if our community could assist Mrs. Omland with rebuilding her classroom library.
- Journalism Club Starts Today! – Journalism Club met today in the media center during recess time. This club is available on a volunteer basis to all students in grades 3-6. Students have the opportunity to choose topics based on personal interest or East Brook happenings. Thank you to Esti Bello for volunteering her time on the front end and Kristen Wendlend behind the scenes!
- Career Day – Career Day will be approaching quicker than we know it! For those parents who are new to the school, our Career Day is a special way for parents and/or family members to come into the school and present about their occupations.
The time commitment will be minimal, and the rewards immeasurable!
If you are interested in being a presenter, please send your name, career and email address to Tara Nelsen-DeFalco at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 30th.
East Brook Notices:
Kevin Stokes, Principal
East Brook Elementary School