The East Brook Blast - November 14, 2018
The East Brook Blast
Thank you for all the parents who visited East Brook School for Parent Visitation Day! With this being the pilot year of our new parent verification system through Google Forms, I was impressed how smoothly things ran. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedules to take a glimpse of what your child is experiencing at East Brook.
On Friday, November 16th, we will be having a pop-up SPIRIT DAY in support of the Park Ridge Varsity Football Team! They will be playing in the state championship! Good luck to all the Owls!! Students are encouraged to show off their spirit wear! If they do not possess official Owl gear, they can wear maroon!
- Winter Concert – Save the Date – On Tuesday, December 11th at 7pm – Mr. Ostrow and Mrs. Garcia will lead their highly anticipated Winter Concert! Please make sure you arrive a little bit early at this event is typically “standing room only.” Doors will open to parents at 6:30pm and students should be dropped off at around that time. We will have students in holding tanks throughout the upper wing hallway until it’s their time to perform! Please see East Brook Notices for more information!
- Picture Day Retakes Tomorrow – If your child is having their photo retaken, please make sure they dress appropriately. Mrs. Guardares will be managing the event and students will be picked up from their classes throughout the morning.
- Piano Academy is Back! – Yesterday began our 2nd year of the The Land of East Brook’s Piano Academy! Last year, 96 of the participants had no prior experience on the piano.
This year, 65 returned to the piano academy (therefore returning with experience on the piano) and it is a first-time experience on the piano for 46 of the participants.
Several parents from last year’s participants shared that the child showed much interest while they participated in the program that they started taking lessons locally, and one was about to give his first recital. Piano academy uses solfege (Do-Re-Mi) to help children familiarize themselves with the piano keyboard, and in their second year, reading music notes on the piano will be the main focus. Thank you to parent volunteer Kaley Koo for making this lunchtime program a success!
- Recipe Challenge Extension – Great news - you can still participate in the Nicholas Markets Healthy Lunch Recipe Challenge! In order to make sure everyone has enough time to submit their Healthy Lunch Recipes for a chance at wonderful prizes, Nicholas Markets has extended the challenge deadline. You can now enter your submission any time between now and Monday, December 17. Get your kids in the kitchen and try out some healthy recipes for the holidays!
- Lost and Found – Only a few weeks ago, we cleaned out our Lost and Found! Well, it’s jammed full once again! We will be emptying it next Wednesday (prior to Thanksgiving break). Please make sure you take a look inside for any missing belongings.
East Brook Notices:
Kevin Stokes, Principal
East Brook Elementary School