The East Brook Blast - October 3, 2018
The East Brook Blast
Currently our students and teacher are engaged in our Week of Respect. Every staff member has completed lesson plans that focus on positive interactions with others, respectful behavior, kindness, and anti-bullying.
Photo Caption: Mrs. Ostrowski’s class teaming up with Ms. Racanelli’s class to learn about being a good character in school and on the playground
Media Center Update – If you ventured into the media center, you have probably noticed that books are still in boxes and scattered around the room. The reason is that we are waiting for the vendor to secure the shelves in place. This should be completed by the end of the week. We are also having a projector installed in the ceiling and a Lego wall installed in the back of the room. We are still looking for Lego donations, so if you have any, please clean them to the best of your ability and drop them off in the main office.
- Fun & Fitness Day – On October 12, 2018, all East Brook Elementary School students are encouraged to participate in our annual Fun & Fitness Walk-A-Thon. This event is a fantastic opportunity for our students to learn the benefits of wellness while earning money for their school. All donations will support the educational initiatives of the East Brook PTO! Please view the attached Fun & Fitness Day Flyer. Fun and Fitness
Important: This year, ALL students will have the opportunity to participate in the Color Paint Blast. Chairpersons Lauren Sbarbaro and Janine Ingala are preparing small cups with the paint powder for each child. The winners from each class will get to run with Mr. Stokes around the track (being painted too!) and then participate in a Grand Finale paint blast of Mr. Stokes.
If you do not want your child to participate in this activity, please send back the hard copy notice being sent home today. The ingredient list and video clips are available here. The paint removes easily in the wash as well. The committee chairpersons have even run tests on clothing and everything washed out well.
Info and Ingredient List: https://www.wholesalecolorpowder.com/faqs/
Sample of an elementary school doing a color run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSO8Uzy90I
- Homework Free Weeks! – This year, East Brook will have five homework free weeks! That’s the most we’ve ever offered. A special teacher committee worked with me to develop this schedule based on their experiences and rationale. I will post more information regarding homework free weeks in an upcoming Blast.
- October 29th – November 2nd
- November 26th – 30th
- January 2nd – 8th
- February 25th – March 1st
- PARCC Testing Week (TBD)
- Dismissal Reminders
- 1st grade dismissal time is 3:15pm. Parents of Kindergarten and 1st grade students – please exit the sidewalk after retrieving your child. This will open up the parking lot for other parents.
- Students should NEVER cross in front/behind cars that are currently running. Pick will be curbside only. This is VERY important
- Do not park in handicapped spaces unless you have the proper TAG
- Please make sure you do not park on Sibbald Drive where “No Parking” signs are posted. The residents who live in this area are prepared to call the police if this continues.
- 1pm Day Reminder –October 8th will be a 1:00pm dismissal day for students as the teachers will participate in staff development. Please make sure you have a plan in place for dismissal. If you’ve ordered bagels for your children, please be aware the “snack” time on those days will be at 10:40-11:00 (school wide). You can plan breakfast/lunch accordingly. The notice is listed below.
- Musical Theater Workshop – Katie Saxton, the music teacher at PRHS, is hosting theater program based on the hit Broadway Musical, Aladdin. If your child is interested in participating, please follow this link: https://goo.gl/forms/cv4mYjcIye516csj1
East Brook Notices:
Kevin Stokes, Principal
East Brook Elementary School